These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Green Cheezy Mac
<p>Simple, adaptable, flavorful. Greens, greens, everywhere! The cheezy sauce can be used in many applications: a little beer or wine added and you have some fondue, a little minced jalapeno and some salsa and you have a quick chili con queso dip. Play with it and see.</p>Source: Adapted from Vegan Diner: Classic Comfort Food for the Body and Soul (Entered by Lara Rasmussen Anderson)
Step by Step Instructions
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. While that is starting, rough chop your greens; rinse and spin in a salad spinner. Add pasta to boiling water and set timer for time according to directions *minus 1 minute.* Add greens for that last minute of cook-time.
- When time's up, drain well and return to large pot; cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, put cashews and water in blender. Start slow and wean up to high speed. Blend until it is pure cream, no pieces of nut. (Time depends on blender power.)
- While that is blending, measure out remaining dry ingredients (5 Tbsp nutritional yeast, cornstarch, flour, garlic, onion, salt, paprika x2). Once cashew cream is well on its way, add to blender and mix well.
- Transfer to sauce pan and heat over medium heat, whisking *continuously*. Once simmering, reduce to low heat and whisk 3-5min until thickened.
- Pour over greens and pasta and fold in to cover/distribute well. Add margarine and last Tbsp nutritional yeast and stir well. Salt and pepper, to taste. Serve hot/immediately.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings