These recipes were entered by customers, growers, and market managers at the many locallygrown.net markets. Account-holders at those markets can see what recipes are in season, buy ingredients from their local growers while looking at the recipe itself, add comments and photographs, mark favorites, and more. Buying and cooking with locally grown food has never been easier!
Greek Honey Cake
From Statesboro Market2Go
<p>In honor of our Taste of Greece Celebration at the Mainstreet Farmers Market!</p>Source: Becky Larson and the GSU Department of Health and Kinesiology (Entered by Market Manager)
Step by Step Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and orange rind. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and 3/4 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat in the flour mixture alternately with milk, mixing just until incorporated. Stir in the walnuts.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then cut into diamond shapes. Pour honey syrup over the cake.
- For the honey syrup: In a saucepan, combine honey, 1 cup sugar, and water. Bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Stir in lemon juice, bring to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
Back to Recipe Listings
Click here to go back to the recipe listings